Thursday, May 26, 2016

A Missed Opportunity

I just had a phone call that went like this:

Telephone: Ring

Me: {I look at the call display. It says "RBC".} 

Telephone: Ring

Me: {Picking up the phone} Hello?

Telephone: {Silence}

Me: Hello?

Telephone: Hello, RBC, Royal Bank of Canada. How may I help you today?

Me: You called me.

Telephone: Oh, sorry, {indistinguishable words} ,,,call sheet. Sorry to have bothered you, good bye.

Me: Good bye.

But now I have all sorts of thoughts on what I could have said:
  • Is there any sort of help you like providing?
  • Is the Royal Bank offering free money? or interest-free loans?
  • Our stairs could use painting.
If anyone has other ideas, I'd be happy to hear them in case the Royal Bank offers to help me again.

3 comments:

other dave said...

You should have instantly said: "I am experiencing a high number of incoming bank calls and ask them to stay on hold until the next available agent can take assist them." You could practice your horn while placing them on hold.

gordon said...

I only say "hello" once. If they really want to talk to me, they won't use an autodialer.

David Scrimshaw said...

Other Dave, I like your idea better than the ones I came up with.

Gordon, I often do follow the only-say-hello-once strategy, but as we see in this case, it limits the opportunities for fun with the callers.