Sunday, May 24, 2015

You might be right to ignore my advice

We had a successful time at the Great Glebe Garage Sale yesterday and I learned an important lesson.

At the very last sale we stopped at, Manon spotted an odd glass dish. "Do you know what this is for?"

It had a spindle sort of thing in the middle. I asked, "is it for a Bundt cake?"

"No," she said, "the sides aren't high enough and there's a pouring spout."

"Well," I said, "if you don't know what it is, you don't need it."

That was enough for me, but Manon is more curious and she had to know. So she asked another customer who made the same guess I made and then Manon asked the adorable 90-year-old Ukrainian woman running the sale.

The owner explained that the item was for roasting a chicken in the oven. You put the chicken upright over the spindle and pour out the juice to make your gravy.

She accepted a very reasonable price that I cannot share with you because her daughter who originally paid for it might come across this and we can't let the daughter know what it went for.

The lesson learned: People may do well by ignoring my advice. And if they do, I might get some roast chicken out of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have never seen such a roasting dish. Will be interested in hearing if it does a good job.
redvera

Dave Moyer said...

Well, sonovagun. Beer can chicken without the beer can.